Monday, April 13, 2009

Dream job? Not exactly

If I could actually create my own job I would be sure to make sure that it is a simple job with high profit yields. By simple I mean doing little to nothing from day to day, or something that's easy and I enjoy doing in moderation with little or no deadlines and/or pressure. And by high profit yields I mean an butt load of money. My options are slim. My friend and I have often considered making funny T-shirts. One for instance might read "She's like my black momma" then underneath the words would be an image of your typical picturesque, sweet, caring, cookie baking, black grandmother. I imagine she would look much like The Oracle from The Matrix, or Tyler Perry's Madea.


Unfortunately, though, the market for such shirts is rapidly declining. To venture into such a field of business would never support the type of lifestyle I intend to live. The life of a moonshiner seems quite glamorous but I myself don't know how to create moonshine, and in order to produce it on a mass scale I would need a safe location and many supplies, and that would take alot of work. I'm not a fan of alot of work. I also don't like learning new skills, which explains why I have only had 3 actual jobs. My current boss is a prime example of where I would like to be. My boss owns a pool company and employs 4, although he has been considering adding a 5th to the team, and works about 3 days a week, sometimes 4. The days he does work he gets up about 7 or 8 sits around for a few hours and he may work for 3 or 4 hours and calls it a day. And those are only service calls, so if nothing ever breaks, he really never works, yet he makes at least 70,000 a year. Genius. The man ignores customer calls for weeks at time; no deadlines there. Also, he does little to no work from day to day; he really has perfected the system. Unfortunately there is a bit of school involved in owning a pool company, but water chemistry can't be that difficult if my boss could do it. So I would create a pool company near where I live and I would steal all my bosses customers because most of them are so fed up with his crap (avoiding/not returning calls, saying he will fix something within the week and not doing it for months, not ordering parts) that if it weren't for his low rates or personal ties they would have switched companies long ago. I would run a company like his except I wouldn't screw around when it comes to customer service, and I would run it much more efficiently so I would make more money, and I would not be as big of a douche as he is. Then I would also make funny T-shirts on the side, but not before going to shops I would attempt to sell them to and stealing and or ruining all the other funny shirts they have in stock. This would ensure the buyability of my product.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked reading your blog, Brett. I wish I too could think of a job wherein I get paid "a buut load of money" without doing much. In fact, I play the lottery everyt time I get the chance so that I never have to work a day in my life. Your idea of funny t-shirts is actually pretty creative as people that I know tend to buy t-shirts that they think are funny and will make their friends smile. As any business goes, your wealth will be entirely based on the demand for your t-shirts so I would try to come up with the funniest comments that anyone could put on a t-shirt in an effort to generate the maximum demand. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete